Wednesday, September 17, 2014

NAS: Online Dating

In my prusuit of blogs, I came across This Blog, written by Jen, and started reading a "not alone series". They link up with a different topic each week. This week is about online dating.



Not all of us have jumped into the world of online dating, but many of us have! What are those things that we should AND shouldn't do?! If someone you know is considering online dating, how would you encourage him/her? What advice do you have?

Now, I bet you are wondering what does she know about online dating, she's discerning a vocation to religious life. Well, this discerning thing is new...like only serious in the last 3 months. I have been on MANY sites, on and off, since about 2010.

Here is my advice:

1. Try before you pay money! Some sites will let you "try" it out. Catholic Singles didn't make me pay at all because I was still in college. Don't pay when you sign up. Look around and see of the people you are finding seem to have your same morals.

2. Don't join sites such as Zoosk. People on these such sites likely won't have your morals and you will be disappointed. I met a guy on Zoosk and went on a few dates with him. I did some things (never went all the way) that I wish I hadn't. I went on vacation and when I came back, I had a renewed look on my virginity. I told him that I wanted to wait. He ended up getting drunk and hooking up with someone else. So, be careful of the site you pick.

3. Find a site that is focused on your beliefs. They have a site for EVERY way of life now! Farmers only is one I see advertised A LOT!!! Catholic Singles is one that I used and met many guys on, but I did still find some creepy guys, so always be careful.

4. Be careful when meeting!! Meet somewhere public, tell someone where you are going, maybe even bring a friend to hang out in the background in case something goes bad. In this world, you can't be too safe!

5. Watch giving out your number, email, and other contact. I met a guy earlier this year who's profile said he lived close. Well, he had moved (to a different state) and didn't change his profile. We texted back and forth and then he started acting weird. I told him I was no longer interested and to stop texting me. He melted down on me and REALLY freaked me out. I blocked his number.

Exploring the internet is amazing! That is what I'm doing now in my discernment! You just need to be careful and use common sense! Now head over to Morgan's and check out other's view!



2 comments:

  1. I was on okcupid for awhile and met some "interesting" people. One guy seemed super catholic and kept sending me all these messages about the real truth of the church...then he wanted me to meet him the NEXT DAY after 3 crazy messages to watch him play tennis...I was conveniently busy that day. This other guy used to message me and tell me he was a ghosthunter...yeah that was interesting...

    I can say if anything online dating has been somewhat entertaining in the people I have gotten messages from. I have done #4 and had people in the area just to make sure you can never be too safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are joining us, Sarah! I just now catching up on all these people that have linked up! :)

    Great advice!

    ReplyDelete