Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Nun Run

Today was the day I have been looking forward to for awhile!!! It was Nun Run day!!!! We visited 4 different communities and I felt like I learned a lot at each one!!

Our day started with 7 am mass at the Poor Clare Monestary. Today was the feast of St. Francis and was a special mass. I had never been to the monestary before. It is a BEAUTIFUL church! Also, the mass was beautiful! It was unique! There was a wall/screen down the middle and the priest was on our side, but was facing the sisters. Definitely something all Catholics should experience!

After mass we had breakfast and watched a short video about the Poor Clares. In the video was a priest we had in my home parish for awhile. It was neat to see him in his younger years. When he was at my parish he was much older and not in the best of health. Then we went to the parlor to talk to the sisters. It was another unique experience. 




They gave us each some information about them and shared some vocation stories. I enjoyed our time there, but I don't think this is where I'm being called.

We then went next door to the Adorers of the Blood of Christ Novitiate House. Wow!!! What a difference!! The ASCs are an apostolic community and they don't wear habits. We met with many sisters who live there and their one novice. I have been avoiding this community mostly because..,I'm not sure... Anyway, I felt a connection with them today. The novice we met with has the "teaching job" (it was a half day once a week teaching music) I had last year!! I gave this job up because I didn't care for it and I needed to find a more permeant job. We again were sent with pamphlets and goodies!!


Those were the 2 stops we made in our diocese. I am lucky to live near St. Louis, where there are so many different religious communities!

Our first stop "across the river" was to the School Sisters of Notre Dame. I was REALLY excited about this visit since I'm a teacher. I left with a feeling that this wasn't where God is calling me. Our visit was short, but we were again given some reading material about their community



and a Vision Vocation Guide (I'm super excited about this!)



Our last stop of the day was to the Daughters of St. Paul. I love their ministry! They are all about spreading God's love through different media! Their convent is connected to their bookstore!! How cool is that!?!? While I love their ministry, I spent much of the time there wondering where my talents would fit in. I'm not sure they would.

We had a DELICIOUS lunch cooked by an 85 year old Italian sister! Wow!! Was it good!!! 

We then spent a bit of time (and money) in their bookstore. I bought a daily devotional. 



We were once again given information about them.



I'm very glad I was able to participate in this nun run! I look forward to continue my discernment in a more focused way! I feel like I know for sure now that I'm not being called to a cloistered, contemplative order or to an order that wears a habit. There are two more communities I FOR SURE want to visit: The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet is one and then my dad suggest I explore the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ because I had 2 great-aunts belonged to that community.

And here's a car selfie of the group of is that went!






No comments:

Post a Comment