Tuesday, October 7, 2014

NAS: My Relationship with Mary

This week's Not Alone Series is about the Holy Rosary! Check out Jen's  and Morgan's Blogs for more NAS opinions!

October is dedicated to the Holy Rosary, so we wanted to honor Mary and reflect on her help during this time of singleness. How have you called on her intercession before? What is your relationship with our Blessed Mother like? If you don't know much about Mary or the Rosary, is there something keeping you from getting to know her?



Mary has been a very important part of my life since June. June was the month that my life changed. I started discerning my vocation to religious life and I re-committed myself to God. This was because of Mary!

If you have read my story, then you know that my discernment started by giving a talk on a retreat. The name of my talk was "Mary, the Unconditional Servant". I was struggle with one part of my talk where I was to talk about a time I was an unconditional servant. I couldn't think of any and I "prayed" (I use quotes because my "praying" was much different than it is now) to come up with something. Well, the night before the retreat started, something came!

I feel close to Mary. She has been a very big part of my discernment journey and continues to be!

I LOVE to pray the rosary! I have an app on my phone called Laudate that has podcasts of the rosary. I plug my phone into my car and pray while I drive to work. There are many podcasts to choose from. There is a simple rosary with mediations from the Year of Faith and there's the scriptural rosary. These are my 2 favorites. There is also Latin versions. I don't know Latin, so I choose not to listen to these. If you have a smart phone, check out the Laudate app'

This has helped to give me strength to deal with difficult situations. I also prayed the rosary on my way to the interview I had this summer. I credit Mary with helping me to get this job.

I am a tactile person. I like to touch and feel. I have tried not using rosary beads to keep track of where I am (it seems a bit unsafe to drive and use the rosary), but I lose interest in the task at hand. I was at the Catholic Supply Store and I came across a finger rosary.





This is the perfect thing to use while driving! Also, my grandma used to keep one pinned in the pocket of her pants when she was alive. If I need extra strength to get through my day, I put it in my pocket to remember that Mary is there to help and encourage, much like she helped and encouraged her son!




My finger rosary clips onto my key chain so that I won't forget it or lose it!

My real mom and I have a strong relationship and my heavenly mother, Mary, and I have a strong relationship! I'm one lucky person!


2 comments:

  1. So awesome that you have such a great devotion to the rosary! It's such a special thing.

    How fun is your whole blog... to watch your discernment towards religious life! Very cool. So many prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep my finger rosary on my keys, too. It will be a fun thing to mention if I ever lose my keys and have to describe them. :)

    ReplyDelete