Thursday, February 5, 2015

NAS: What am I Looking For??

What are the qualities and characteristics that you are looking for in your future husband? We have talked about what we don't want, but it's good to have an idea of those things that are important to us. Discerning religious life? This applies to communities, as well!


Linking up with the NAS girls (a bit tardy) this week. Jen is hosting this week and Morgan is supporting!

So, I use to dream about the perfect husband. I was looking for someone who accepted me as I was. He wasn't going to try to change me or pressure me into something I didn't want. I wanted a "knight in shiny armor". Meaning someone who would come rescue me from myself. (It would also be handy if he could change a flat tire)

Now, not so much. I imagine God as the perfect spouse. He will catch me when I fall. When I'm struggling through my day, a quick conversation with Him soothes my anxiety. I couldn't imagine a more perfect husband! (And I can still call my dad to come change that flat tire)

I'm currently still looking for the right community for me and the talents I have. My top two would be the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJs) and the Adorers of the Blood Christ (ASCs). I love their charisms. They both serve people. That's what I want to do! I feel called to help others with my gift of teaching. I also feel called to help older adults like I helped my grandpa.

Many people I talk to tell of a strong feeling to wear the habit and some say they don't. I'm not totally sure. The few communities that I visited that wear a habit, I don't think I'm being called to. But, it wasn't the habit that led me to this conclusion.

The TEC program is and always will be a big part of my life. A community that let's me continue to be part of the TEC community is a must. There may be a time when I am unable to be as active as I am now, but I don't want to leave TEC forever.

Being with other people my age is also important. Often, I find myself easily the youngest person in a group. This is okay sometimes, but I also want a chance to be with other sisters who are of similar age. I know that both ASCs and CSJs have very few "younger" sisters. I know both participate in an "intercommunity novitiate  program". Also, I won't be isolated to just the sisters from the community I pick. Hanging out with both communities, the younger sisters know each other!

This has been a HARD post to write! The qualities of the community I'm looking for are similar to that of a husband. There are certain "non-negotiables" (cloistered life isn't for me) and other things that could go either way (habit or not, that is the question!). I know I want to serve people, but where and what capacity I'm still discerning. That right community may be the one I was so sure I would never even consider, and it may be the one that I haven't found yet. Guess I'll continue discerning!




No comments:

Post a Comment