Monday, October 27, 2014

NAS: Discernment Challenges


We all agree that discernment is challenging. Figuring out what the Lord is calling you to do with your life can be frustrating and exhausting. But, then add on lack of family support, cultural pressures, and your personal expectations... ugh. And, this isn't just in relation to vocational discernment, but general life discernment, too! How do you keep going? What helps you to push through? How can we encourage one another? What indicators have you experienced that lets you know you're
 going down the right path?

Ahhh, discernment. What does God have planned for me and how can I figure it out?

If you haven't noticed, my blog is about my current discernment to answer the call to religious life. You can read more about how I realized God's call HERE. I'm not going to bore you with that again.

Then there is general life discernment. I have done my fair share of this! For the last 2 years I have been a substitute teacher. It wasn't working! I would have a week where I didn't work and then next week I would be turning down jobs because I would be booked. Then came the snow days...subs don't get paid when there's no school...

So, I spent a large portion of my summer begging God for a change! I was applying for any job at any school. I was also thinking of going back to school to become a nurse. I asked God for a job, but if He thought I should become a nurse, then let me know. God answered with a job. You can read more about how I LOVE my job HERE!

Prayer is key to discernment! Talking things out with God makes His plans more clear to us humans! I just found this awesome prayer for discernment:


Check out the how to pray section! This is something I'm going to be sharing!

I think the number one way to encourage others is by being there. God sometimes speaks through others. My aunt/godmother is a nurse and she has been encouraging me to become a nurse since forever. Was God speaking through her? I'm not sure, but becoming a nurse is still possible!

When I'm "going down the right path" there is an inside feeling of joy and happiness! There is little anxiety and extreme happiness. It's a weird feeling. You will know when it's the right path!

On a similar note, the sadness I was feeling when going the wrong was intense. I could feel myself not only going away from what God wanted, but going away from God! It's important to also be aware of this feeling. There is ALWAYS time to turn around and take the path the God has made for you!

In summary, pray, listen and be a listener to friends and family, don't be afraid to change directions if you realize you aren't doing God's will, and don't let Gid slip away!

Here's another fun picture to close with:


Check out Jen's  and Morgan's Blogs for more NAS Funness!!!

1 comment:

  1. That chaplet from Imagine Sisters is pretty fantastic. I am going to pin it now!

    ReplyDelete