Sunday, September 20, 2015

My Parish

Over the last year, one thing I have truly worked hard on is going to mass for the Eucharist and not because I liked the priest at that particular parish. My parish is at risk of getting closed. This devastated me because this is where I was baptized, received my first reconciliation and first communion, and was confirmed. I kind of hope to possibly say vows at my church someday. 



As much as it bothered me that my parish was at risk of closing, I was not attending mass there because I didn't like the priest. He tended to be long winded and I struggled with following his thoughts during the homily. Then I had my big revelation. 

If people aren't attending mass in their parish, then how will they know that we want our parish to stay opened?

With this thought, I decided to make en effort to attend mass in my home parish. I attended mass almost every Saturday night. When I missed it on Saturday, I went Sunday morning. The priest grew on me and I realized he should not have kept me away from my parish home. 

Then summer came and I found myself gone many weekends and unable to be at my parish home for mass. I missed it. I was finally finding my place in my parish as an adult! 

Then I moved.


I miss my parish family. I miss knowing people when I go to mass. I miss knowing where I sit and the songs that are going to be used. I miss the awkward chit chat at the end of mass. I miss my priest awkwardly asking how formation is going. I miss the church ladies and their hugs. I miss being able to leave my purse in the car because I know no one is going to mess with it. I miss being Eucharistic Minister.

This parish will always be my home parish. I look forward to being there for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. I will soak in as much of it as I can while I am home. In the meantime, I think I'll attend mass with the sisters this week. I need some familiar faces this week.

1 comment: