Sunday, April 12, 2015

"Ran Away Naked Mark"


This weekend, I went to mass at Our Lady of the Snows Shrine. It's a beautiful place and I have many fond memories of serving on the Teen Leadership Team there. The OLS church is one of my favorite churches and I love attending mass there. It's been awhile since I have been to mass there.

Today, we heard the gospel where the Apostle Thomas received his nickname of "Doubting Thomas". The priest had a wonderful reflection on this topic. All the other apostles saw Jesus and so they believed. But, poor Thomas was out at the time Jesus visited. He didn't get to see and didn't take the word of his fellow apostles. Jesus then appears and Thomas immediately believed. Yet, we still know Thomas as "Doubting Thomas". As the cartoon depicts, why not also call Peter "Denying Peter" and Mark "Run Away Naked Mark"? 

I shared the same picture on my Facebook page and the following was posted by a friend:

"I wake up in the morning feeling like T Diddy. Once was a doubter I'm out the door, gonna convert this city. Before I leave sell my stuff, just one cloak on my back. Cause when we go out in pairs all we take is a staff." - Forest

Do you ever find yourself doubting? Would you like to be labeled as "Doubting Patricia" or "Doubting Fred"? Let's forgive Thomas for doubting that Jesus had risen and just call him "T-Diddy"!

No comments:

Post a Comment