Saturday, January 31, 2015

A Little on Friendships

I talk about friends of mine often here. I'm amazed with how supportive my true friends are. 


When I first made the decision to seriously start discerning, it was one friend in particular that really helped. His response shocked me...it was an "of course you are. You will be great" type of response. It was exactly what I needed to hear.

It was a group of friends that I told first that I was discerning. I was more comfortable telling them then telling my own family.


On the flip side, I had friends I was terrified of telling because they had told me in passing how stupid it would be to pursue such a way of life.

Then there are "friends" I would love to tell, but, for some reason, they no longer acknowledge my existence.

The school I attended for 1st and 2nd grade had just 6 of us in my grade. 5 of us attended the same school through high school. 3 of us still regularly attend our home church. 2 of us are registered and active members. It was this other person that has inspired this post.

Last Saturday, we were sitting within "sign of peace range". (Meaning different pews, but didn't have to over stretch to offer the sign of peace) I had my hand outstretched to offer her and her  husband the sign of peace, she turned the other way.

Wow! What had our former friendship turned to?!?! At a church bingo, we were working near each other and I couldn't even catch her eye to give her a smile. I would LOVE to share my good news with those I grew up with, but they don't seem to want to acknowledge my existence! I wonder what I did to receive this kind if treatment.

She isn't the only one. Back in August, 4 of us were at mass. It was like everyone had blinders on, afraid to make eye-contact. At our church picnic, I almost dislocated my arm waving at one of them.

Part of me wants to think that they are jealous of me. I often attend mass alone and volunteer in a few ministries. But I don't see how this is something to be jealous of. Another part if me wonders if I somehow offended them. Did I ignore them at some point? Did I not go to something I was invited to?

All of this makes me that much more thankful for the friends that I have. Friends who want to go on adventures with me. Friends who know what to say when I'm freaking out about the future. Friends who I know will be there for me and I will be there for them!



No comments:

Post a Comment